Update: Donations to GiveDirectly are currently being matched, with $200,000 available for matching. Donate now to double your impact!
What problem are they working on?
GiveDirectly works on lifting people from extreme poverty alleviates the suffering caused by hunger, stress and poverty related diseases.
- More than 700 million people are still living on less than $1.90 a day; many lacking access to adequate food, clean drinking water and sanitation.
- The overwhelming majority of people suffering from extreme poverty live in Southern Asia and sub-Saharan Africa.
What do they do?
GiveDirectly provides cash transfers to extremely low income households using mobile phone-linked payment services. GiveDirectly targets the poorest households in Kenya and Uganda to receive cash transfers.
Does it work?
GiveDirectly has been effective at delivering cash to low-income households. Unconditional cash transfers reliably increase wealth, which is a strong proxy for quality of life. Further evidence suggests that cash transfers can have leveraged impact in the range of 35-75% annual rate of return on funds invested.
What do you get for your dollar?
For every dollar donated to GiveDirectly, roughly $0.91 will be transferred if the cash transfer recipient lives in Kenya and $0.85 if they live in Uganda.
How much money could they use?
The charity evaluator GiveWell believes that GiveDirectly could use between $66 million (50% confidence) and $144 million (5% confidence) for its 2017 budget year.
We recommend GiveDirectly because of its:
- Focus on a program with a low burden of proof and a strong track record.
- Strong process for ensuring that cash is well-targeted and consistently reaches its intended targets
- Consistent ranking among the top giving opportunities as rated by the most rigorous charity evaluator, Givewell.
Get your donation matched!
Martin Crowley has teamed up with Dan Smith to match donations to GiveDirectly, as well as two other REG recommended charities the Against Malaria Foundation and the Schistosomiasis Control Initiative. There are currently $200,000 in matching funds available. To have your donation matched, email a donation receipt to email@example.com. Your donation will be recorded and matched once the donation drive is complete. For any questions about the charity drive, please email Dan Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org, or check out his blog for additional details.